Go Casual Team Leaders – Additional Info/Materials
Participating in Go Casual for Justice is as easy as 1-2-3…
1. Rally the troops! Advertise via e-mail, posters, fliers, social media, etc. Download customizable and printable materials below:
Customizable Firm Flyer – Distribute to colleagues, family, and friends. Let them know about Go Casual and get them involved!
2018 Go Casual Ad
2018_Go Casual Sample-Email-Correspondence
Sample Social Media Posts
Donor Stickers (Avery White Laser 5263)
2. Collect donations – In advance of (or on) your Go Casual day, collect donations from your colleagues, friends and family.
- Donations can easily be made online, via check, or by cash. Checks or cash should be given to the Team Leader, who will then send to DCBF for processing. We ask that you use this Cash & Check Donation Tracker to appropriately account for each gift.
- Tax receipts will be generated for online gifts and donations of $100 or more made via check or cash (if an email address has been made available).
3. Submit your workplace’s donations to DCBF – Send checks (payable to “DC Bar Foundation”) to:
The DC Bar Foundation
80 M Street SE, Suite 100
Washington, DC 20003
NOTE: DO NOT send cash through the mail. If you collect cash donations, please prepare a single check or money order and include a list of contributors indicating donation amount.
Tips for a Successful Go Casual Day
1. Put one person or a small team in charge – It helps to have champions within your office – individuals who agree to send emails, convene a gathering, encourage others to participate, etc. Some larger offices have floor captains who assist with outreach and collecting gifts.
2. Set a goal – Whether it’s a participation or dollar goal, having something to work towards helps build momentum. For example, our Loan Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP) awards typically range from $6,000 to $8,000 per public interest lawyer. This is a good goal for medium to large offices. Some LRAP recipients receive the maximum annual award of $12,000, which may serve as a joint goal for a law firm and corporate client to raise together (see #6 below).
3. Offer a challenge – In some cases, a partner has agreed to match individual gifts over a certain amount.
4. Offer prizes – Some workplaces encourage participation by holding drawings throughout the day for individuals who donate. Prizes range from gift cards to lunch with the managing partner.
5. Make it fun! Every workplace has its own culture and ways of building camaraderie. In previous years, one firm’s managing partner promised to wear a sweatshirt of his alma mater’s rival if the firm reached its dollar goal; another partner promised to shave his mustache if 80% of the firm contributed.
6. Make it a competition – Consider competing with another firm or company to see who can reach their goal first, etc. A law firm and corporate client may consider setting a joint goal (see #2 above).
7. Make it visible – A customizable flier and other materials are available (above) to help you spread the word. We also encourage you to like and share posts via social media using #GoCasualforJustice.
What is the recommended gift amount? Contributions made through Go Casual have ranged from $10 to $1,000. What’s most important is that, no matter the amount, every gift makes a difference.
How will my gift be used? Dollars raised through Go Casual support DC’s civil legal aid network through grants, training and technical assistance, and our Loan Repayment Assistance Program. Click here for more information.
Is a gift to DCBF tax deductible? Yes. The DC Bar Foundation is a 501(c)(3) organization, so donations are tax deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law.
Will donors receive a receipt for tax purposes? Tax receipts will be generated for online gifts and donations of $100 or more made via check or cash (if an email address has been made available).
Can I donate if my workplace doesn’t participate in Go Casual? Of course! Click here to easily make a gift online.
Does my workplace have to raise a minimum amount? No, but it’s always good to set a goal. Be sure to celebrate your office’s success after reaching your goal!
Additional questions about Go Casual for Justice can be directed to Greer Richey, Development and Communications Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (202) 853-9022.