- Formal name: Access to Justice (ATJ) Grants Program
- Awarded annually since 2007
- Source of funding: public funding from a grant from the District
- Grant year: January 1 to December 31
In 2007, DCBF began awarding grants under the Access to Justice (ATJ) Grants Program when the Council of the District of Columbia designated DCBF as administrator of these funds. ATJ grants support organizations that provide legal assistance in three areas: (a) underserved areas in DC; (b) housing-related matters; and (c) to support a shared legal services interpreter bank. Since 2007, close to $30 million has been awarded to provide critical legal assistance to DC’s poor and underserved.
We are currently accepting applications for the 2019 Access to Justice (ATJ) Grants Program under the categories of Underserved Areas and Shared Legal Services Interpreter Bank.* Applications are due by 12:00 pm EST on Friday, August 24, 2018. Awards will be announced in mid-December 2018, with the grant year running from January 1, 2019 to December 31, 2019. To start an application, click the link below. Program Overview and Instructions, as well as the attachments necessary for the application, are below.
Applicant Information Session: A joint information session for organizations interested in submitting proposals for the 2019 ATJ Underserved Areas and Interpreter Bank Grants Program and/or the 2019 Private Grants Program will be held on Wednesday, July 25 from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm. RSVPs are required. Please email the name(s), title(s), and email address(es) of individual(s) attending to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, July 23 to register.
- Link to applications:
- Underserved Areas: https://www.GrantRequest.com/SID_2334?SA=SNA&FID=35097
- Shared Legal Services Interpreter Bank: https://www.GrantRequest.com/SID_2334?SA=SNA&FID=35096
- 2019 ATJ Grants Program Overview and Instructions
- PDF of applications (for reference only): Underserved Areas and Shared Legal Services Interpreter Bank
- Word document of Part One Organization Data
- Attachments for Part Two:
- Self-Assessment Toolkit
- Technical Assistance for Online System
*For this grant application due on August 24, 2018, we will only consider requests for Underserved Areas and Shared Legal Services Interpreter Bank categories. The application for 2019 ATJ Housing-Related Matters was due April 2, 2018. The application for 2020 will open summer 2019.
Organizations that receive funding through the publicly-funded ATJ Grants Program are required to provide quarterly financial reports and semi-annual programmatic reports. The reporting schedule for FY18 ATJ Grants (January 1, 2018 to December 31, 2018) is below, along with the outline for programmatic reporting and the Grant Adjustment Request Form and its attachments. All reports will be completed online through our online grants management system. Grant managers will receive an email notification when these reporting forms are ready to be completed.
- Due Monday, April 30, 2018 by 5:00 pm: Required Signatures and Quarterly Financial Report
- Due Tuesday, July 31, 2018 by 5:00 pm: Required Signatures, Quarterly Financial Report, and Semiannual Programmatic Report (Definitions of Terms document for reference)
- Due Wednesday, October 31, 2018 by 5:00 pm: Required Signatures and Quarterly Financial Report
- Due Wednesday, January 30, 2019 by 5:00 pm: Required Signatures, Client Story, Quarterly Financial Report, and Final Programmatic Report