- Formal name: Access to Justice (ATJ) Grants Program
- Awarded annually since 2007
- Source of funding: public funding from a grant from the District
- Grant year: January 1 to December 31
In 2007, DCBF began awarding grants under the Access to Justice (ATJ) Grants Program when the Council of the District of Columbia designated DCBF as administrator of these funds. ATJ grants support organizations that provide legal assistance in three areas: (a) underserved areas in DC; (b) housing-related matters; and (c) to support a shared legal services interpreter bank. Since 2007, close to $30 million has been awarded to provide critical legal assistance to DC’s poor and underserved.
The application period for the Access to Justice Housing Grants Program* is now closed. The application for housing-related grants was due on Monday, April 2, 2018. Awards will be made in mid-June 2018. Below – for reference only – are the link to the application, instructions, and materials for the 2018-2019 ATJ Housing Grants Program.
*For this grant application due on April 2, 2018, we will only consider requests for housing-related matters. The application for underserved areas and shared legal interpreter bank will be released in summer 2018, for the January 1, 2019 to Dec. 31, 2019 grant year. Check this page for updates.
Organizations that receive funding through the publicly-funded ATJ Grants Program are required to provide quarterly financial reports and semi-annual programmatic reports. The reporting schedule for FY18 ATJ Grants (January 1, 2018 to December 31, 2018) is below, along with the outline for programmatic reporting and the Grant Adjustment Request Form and its attachments. All reports will be completed online through our online grants management system. Grant managers will receive an email notification when these reporting forms are ready to be completed.
- Due Monday, April 30, 2018 by 5:00 pm: Required Signatures and Quarterly Financial Report
- Due Tuesday, July 31, 2018 by 5:00 pm: Quarterly Financial Report and Semiannual Programmatic Report
- Due Wednesday, October 31, 2018 by 5:00 pm: Quarterly Financial Report
- Due Wednesday, January 30, 2019 by 5:00 pm: Client Story, Quarterly Financial Report, and Final Programmatic Report