- Formal name: DC Legal Services Grants Program
- Awarded annually since 1978
- Source of funding: private contributions and IOLTA revenue
- Grant year: January 1 to December 31
The DC Legal Services Grants Program (private grants), which began in 1978 when DCBF was founded, has provided over $25 million in critical operating support to DC legal aid providers. Private grants provide unrestricted funds support to help cover overhead costs, such as rent and client record databases, which are not always covered by other grants these organizations receive. These grants are funded by private contributions and revenue received through the IOLTA program.
The application period for the 2018 Private Grants Program is now open. The application is due by 3:00 pm on Thursday, September 28, 2017. The grant year will begin January 1, 2018 and end December 31, 2018.
Information Session: There is an information session for the 2018 Private and ATJ/Public Grants programs on Thursday, August 24 from 10:30 am to 12:00 pm at Kirkland & Ellis LLP (655 15th Street NW, #1200). RSVPs are mandatory. Please email email@example.com by Tuesday, August 22 if you would like to attend.
Application Instructions: It is very important to read the instructions, as there have been several changes to the application this year. Refer to this page for instructions on completing the application. To start an application, use this link: https://www.grantrequest.com/SID_2334/default.asp?SA=SNA&FID=35056
Instructions and Application Materials: Materials needed to complete the online application are below.
- 2018 Private Grants Program Overview and Instructions
- PDF of application (for reference only)
- Word document of Part One Organization Data
- Self-Assessment Toolkit
Organizations that receive funding from the DC Legal Services Grants Program (private grants) are required to provide substantive midyear and year-end reports on their accomplishments and the use of the DC Bar Foundation funds. The reporting schedule for FY16 private grants is below. All reports will be completed online through our online grants management system. Grant managers will receive an email notification when these reporting forms are ready to be completed.
- Due Friday, January 27, 2017 by 5:00 pm –Six-Month Report, Required Signatures and Client Story
- Due Friday, April 7, 2017 by 5:00 pm – Financial documents to receive second disbursement (you will receive an email if you’re required to do this)
- Due Friday, July 28, 2017 by 12:00 pm – 12-Month Report, Required Signatures and Client Story
- Due Friday, January 28, 2018 by 5:00 pm – Final Report, Required Signatures and Client Story