- Formal name: DC Legal Services Grants Program
- Awarded annually since 1978
- Source of funding: private contributions and IOLTA revenue
- Grant year: July 1 to June 30*
The DC Legal Services Grants Program (private grants), which began in 1978 when DCBF was founded, has provided over $25 million in critical operating support to DC legal aid providers. Private grants provide unrestricted funds support to help cover overhead costs, such as rent and client record databases, which are not always covered by other grants these organizations receive. These grants are funded by private contributions and revenue received through the IOLTA program.
*FY16 grantees’ grant year is July 1, 2016 to December 31, 2017. Starting in 2018, all grant years are January 1 to December 31. The application for 2018 will be posted in July 2017 and due in September 2017.
The application period for the FY16 DC Legal Services Grants Program is closed. Recipients of FY16 private grants were announced mid-June 2016, and the grant year began July 1, 2016 and will end December 31, 2017. Learn more about our grantees here. The next application, with a new grant year of January 1 to December 31, will be posted in July 2017 and due in September 2017.
Organizations that receive funding from the DC Legal Services Grants Program (private grants) are required to provide substantive midyear and year-end reports on their accomplishments and the use of the DC Bar Foundation funds. The reporting schedule for FY16 private grants is below. All reports will be completed online through our online grants management system. Grant managers will receive an email notification when these reporting forms are ready to be completed.
- Due Friday, January 27, 2017 by 5:00 pm –Six-Month Report, Required Signatures and Client Story
- Due Monday, April 3, 2017 by 5:00 pm – Financial documents to receive second disbursement
- Due Friday, July 28, 2017 by 5:00 pm – 12-Month Report and Client Story
- Due Friday, January 28, 2018 by 5:00 pm – 18-Month Report and Client Story