- Formal name: Access to Justice (ATJ) Grants Program
- Awarded annually since 2007
- Source of funding: public funding from a grant from the Council of the District of Columbia
- Grant year: May 1 to April 30
In 2007, DCBF began awarding grants under the Access to Justice (ATJ) Grants Program (public grants) when the Council of the District of Columbia designated DCBF as administrator of these funds. Public grants support organizations that provide legal assistance in three areas: (a) underserved areas in DC; (b) housing-related matters; and (c) to support a shared legal services interpreter bank. Since 2007, close to $30 million has been awarded to provide critical legal assistance to DC’s poor and underserved.
The application period for the 2017 Access to Justice (ATJ) Grants Program is closed. The recipients of 2017 funding will be announced in mid-March, and the grant period is eight months, from May 1, 2017 to December 31, 2017. The next application, with a new grant year of January 1 to December 31, will be posted in July 2017 and due in September 2017. Below are the application instructions from the 2017 ATJ Grants Program for reference.
Application Instructions: Refer to this page for instructions on completing the application. Further instructions can be found on the online application.
Important Dates: Applicants of new projects will interview with the Foundation on February 13, 14 or 15. Decisions will be announced mid-March 2017. Note, the 2017 public grants’ grant year will be eight months, from May 1, 2017 to December 31, 2017. Starting with 2018 public grants, the new grant year will be January 1 to December 31.
Application Materials: Materials needed to complete the online application are below.
- PDF of the 2017 Public Grants Application (for reference only)
- Grant agreement examples for completing the Performance Measures sections
- Self-Assessment Toolkit
- Attachment A: Required Signatures
- Attachment B: Project Budget
- Revised Project Budget
Organizations that receive funding through the publicly-funded Access to Justice Grants Program (public grants) are required to provide quarterly financial reports and semi-annual programmatic reports. The reporting schedule for FY16 public grants is below. All reports will be completed online through our online grants management system. Grant managers will receive an email notification when these reporting forms are ready to be completed.
- Due Wednesday, August 31, 2016 by 5:00 pm – 1st Quarter Financial Report & Client Story
- Due Wednesday, November 30, 2016 by 5:00 pm – Midyear Programmatic Report, 2nd Quarter Financial Report & Client Story
- Due Tuesday, February 28, 2017 by 5:00 pm – 3rd Quarter Financial Report & Client Story
- Due Tuesday, May 30, 2017 by 5:00 pm – Year-end Programmatic Report, 4th Quarter/Year-end Financial Report & Client Story